Wednesday, July 22, 2009

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman


I was very excited about the Newberry Award winner this year.  From what I'd heard, the title and cover, I felt this would be a book that would have much more appeal to young readers than the previous winners.  As soon as I started reading it, I knew I was right.  This is a spectacular read that kept me interested from page one and throughout the entire book.   I feel it will be very popular with readers!
Nobody Owen's family was murdered one night while he was just a baby.  He managed to escape and found himself in a nearby graveyard.  The ghosts who occupied the graveyard took him in and gave him a home.  Nobody, also known as Bod, grew up having ghosts as family and friends and knowing little about the outside world.  He eventually attempts school and makes some living friends but things go bad when he draws too much attention to himself and he goes back to staying strictly in the graveyard.  Things are going good for Bod until he tries to sell a brooch he took from a tomb and the man who once killed his entire family, is alerted to his location.  Now Bod must fight for his life with the help of some living and not living friends.  This is an exciting book that will keep readers on their toes as they quickly flip the pages to find out if Bod survives and what becomes of his life in the graveyard.

No comments:

Post a Comment