Sunday, July 26, 2009

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie (audiobook)

This is the story of Junior, a young boy who lives on a reservation but yearns for more.  He convinces his parents to let him attend the nearby public school even though he knows this will cause problems both on his reservation and at his new school.  He soon loses his best friend due to him changing schools but sticks to his decision.  Eventually he makes new friends and even becomes a part of the basketball team while he's getting an education that will help him much more than the one he would have gotten at the reservation.
I wanted to listen to this audiobook since I recently read the book itself so that I could compare experiences.  While I enjoyed the book more, this was still a very good audiobook.  What I think really helped was that the author was the narrator of it.  I think this gave more meaning to the story since as the author, he had so much more invested in the story.  He did a great job on the voice of Junior, making the listener believe that is who they were actually listening to.

No comments:

Post a Comment